Re: [News] Windows Has Genuine Advantages

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Has Genuine Advantages
  • From: Black Dragon <bd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 10:54:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

>>> http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200606/msg00121.html

>> Anybody who is naive enough to have critical systems automatically
>> updated deserves the potential consequences.

> Anybody who is naive enough to have critical systems running Windows
> deserves the consequences.

What I'm about to say is based solely on personal experience and I'm in
no way trying to advocate MS Windows.

I've been working for manufactures who have been 100% Microsoft shops
from the get-go. My current employer abandoned its UNIX (CAD/CAM
workstations) and Linux (server) systems not long before I started there
late in '04 and is 100% Microsoft now too. I did do a short stint at
company that had a Novell network also.

What defines critical systems? If it's systems that are required to keep
networks up and running in manufacturing facilities so actual work can
flow 24/7, then I've never seen Microsoft systems fail for any other reason
than hardware failures. I have seen a good share of software failures on
poorly maintained workstations and desktops though, and most of those
were due to people who were barely skilled enough to turn a computer on
running them with administrative privileges. <sigh>

The company that had the Novell network on the other hand, well, as
reliably as day turns to night their network went up and down. It was
extremely frustrating working in that environment and is one of the
reasons I left. They fixed the problem recently too. They're a Microsoft
shop now.

> (And yes, I agree that automatic updates in critical systems are a bad
> idea too, even when running Linux.)

Although it'd be trivial to have software automatically updated on my Open
and FreeBSD systems I'd never consider it, and they're just servers on
my little, non-critical home network. Automatic updates are also disabled
on my MS Windows systems. In fact, I mis-trust Microsoft so much I
blackholed microsoft.com with DNS. If Windows wants to phone home, it's
going to have to find another route...

blkdrgn@thor> nslookup microsoft.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Name:   microsoft.com
Address: 127.0.0.1

***

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\blkdrgn>nslookup microsoft.com
Server:  thor.bdhinet.lan
Address:  192.168.1.101

Name:    microsoft.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

Black Dragon

	"Darling," he breathed, "after making love I doubt if I'll
be able to get over you -- so would you mind answering the phone?"