Re: [News] Windows Has Genuine Advantages

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Jim Richardson on Sunday
>>  High Plains Thumper wrote:

>>> I gather he might be an environmental engineer or
>>> technician. Not everyone doing data acquisition is an IT
>>> person.
>>
>> Apparantly you need to be an expert with computers to not
>> get screwed over by "you" MS-Windows box...
>
> Allow me to quote something that I read yesterday (quotes
> are often more compelling than a personal statement):
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| I've installed Windows hundreds of times over the years.
>| And, I've installed various versions of Linux dozens of
>| times in the past as well. Windows isn't difficult, but
>| you do kind of have to know what you're doing.
>`----
>
>   http://lenwood.cc/2006/06/17/ubuntu-rocks-on-laptops
>
> Common knowledge (which is the artefact of popularity/
> experience) or a next-door neighbour do not mean that the
> platform is more user-friendly, nor intuitive. This reminds
> me of Mike's recent post, which distinguished between
> _easy-to-learn_ and _easy-to-use_.

True.  I have helped neighbors, friends, work colleagues, etc.
on their Windows installations, setups, unsquirrelings, and ad
nauseum.

More is implied in the installation than the average person
has knowledge of.  This includes installation of drivers,
network settings, browser settings, E-mail settings, personal
firewall, antivirus, installing printers and scanners, and so
forth.

Most people are better off spending a few quid more and buying
all their PC and peripherals from a trustworthy PC clone shop.
Then they have someone to provide them tech support.

OEM's like Dell have the software preinstalled and
preconfigured to make it as easy as possible.  However, having
someone nearby only a stop away is invaluable.

A free cup of coffee or pie makes it all worthwhile.   :-)

--
HPT