Re: [News] RMS: Love Him or Hate Him

__/ [ walt ] on Saturday 17 June 2006 20:43 \__

> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:51:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Great Man Series: The most hated man in cyberspace
>

>> | This business movement, which Stallman grandfathered, has done to
>> | software what Moore's Law did to hardware. It has pushed prices to the
>> | floor. It has brought thousands of new programmers, and millions of new
>> | users, to the Internet.
>> |
>> | This has always been Stallman's goal. His only goal. And he has taken
>> | it, all the criticism, all the jibes, because he believes in what he's
>> | doing.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=682
>
> I found this interesting video of an RMS talk recently:
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1647626314188526128&q=Linux

It  hasn't  left  a most positive impression on  me,  but  I
respect  the  GNU ideaology, which affects millions, if  not
billions  of  people  and encircles many  (ten/hundreds  of)
thousands of developers.

The    free   software   development   model,   which   make
distributability  a  breeze, gives opportunity to  everyone,
regardless  of available resources. The OLPC initiative is a
prime example of that.

FOSS    drives    enormous,   conjoined   innovation.    The
secret-keeping conduct has never led to many advancements in
science,  which is why people are encouraged (or even  urged
andforced)   to  publish  their  work  in  conferences   and
journals.  More people in academia, in this age of computing
and comminication over the Internet, are sharing their code,
_as  well as_ the concepts. The GPL fits like hand in  glove
with research, which is where Stallman comes from.

Best wishes,