Re: Why Has Linux Not Conquered the Desktop, Yet?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Why hasn't Linux made it mainstream on the desktop?
>
> ,----[ Snippet  ]
> |
> |     * Linux is more stable than Windows
> |     * Linux is more secure than Windows
> |     * Linux is easier than Windows to use
> |     * Linux is a lot more versatile than Windows
> |     * Linux doesn't have the same high system requirements that Windows
> |       does
> `----
>
>                 http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/index.php?p=18

I think a lot of it is due to ignorance.  If I go into a store like
Currys (a UK chain that sells TVs, DVD players, video games plus PCs
and various peripherals, and ask if some item is compatible with Linux,
the usual reply is "I don't know."  Some assistants don't even know
what Linux is.

It's undeniable that more users are switching to Linux.  But if the
people selling computers to the general public don't know anything
about it, it'll never take off.  I don't know if I've ever seen a Linux
ad other than in computer magazines.