Re: Editor's Perspective: Micrsoft Will Not Miss Gates

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 16 June 2006 17:14 \__

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Gates is a genius at ruthless marketing, but in some ways Microsoft's
>> troubles in recent years (security, failure to anticipate the web
>> services model, etc) are the chickens coming home to roost from Gates'
>> earlier policies and decisions.  So it seems to me that it will
>> strengthen Microsoft if Gates leaves, and Ballmer (his college
>> classmate!  I didn't know that) too.  But even if the new management is
>> optimal, they will still have the drag of their legacy, putting them at
>> a disadvantage compared to competitors like Google.  Vista itself may
>> have been a mistake.
>
> They rode the horse while it was young and strong.
>
> Now the horse is old and tired.

 __^__                                          __^__
( ___ )----------------------------------------( ___ )
 | / | They probably fear that gamble, which is | \ |
 | / | leaving   the  cash  cows   behind   and | \ |
 | / | replacing  them  with  new  tools  in  a | \ |
 | / | totally new territory, right to Google's | \ |
 | / | elbow.                                   | \ |
 | / |                                          | \ |
 | / | Gates  was reluctant to replace what  he | \ |
 | / | has  come to love, so he was too late to | \ |
 | / | replace his native, desktop applications | \ |
 | / | and  announce the entry into the  market | \ |
 | / | of  the future: Web services.  Microsoft | \ |
 | / | now  seeks  developers and  startups  to | \ |
 | / | acquire,  but  the  train has  long  ago | \ |
 | / | departed.                                | \ |