Re: [News] Adobe Explains the Exclusion of PDF from MS Office

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 16 June 2006 18:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 16 Jun 2006 02:19:57 +0100
> <3127339.3Y0Wq34dll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Adobe Speaks Out on Microsoft PDF Battle
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "While much of the press coverage to date has centered on disputes over
>> | PDF and XPS [a competitive technology to PDF] in MS Office and Vista,
>> | the real issue is the protection of open standards," Adobe explains.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=22058
>
> Impressive.
>
>     Adobe is committed to open standards, the company continues. Adobe
>     publishes the complete PDF specification and makes it available for
>     free, without restrictions, without royalties, to anyone who cares
>     to use it. Because we license the PDF specification so openly, it
>     has become a de facto standard, used by hundreds of independent
>     software vendors worldwide. No other specification is employed on as
>     many hardware platforms, operating systems and applications as PDF.
>     PDF is incorporated into a number of ISO standards, and Adobe
>     encourages developers, independent software vendors and publishers
>     to support and embrace it. While the specification is available
>     publicly, customers expect Adobe to ensure that the format does not
>     become fragmented and that competing implementations of PDF do not
>     undermine what customers have come to expect in terms of reliable
>     viewing and printing of PDF documents across platforms and browsers.
>
> Kinda makes the whole GIMP vs. Photoshop debate a bit hollow, doesn't
> it? :-)
>
> Kudos.

 __^__                                          __^__
( ___ )----------------------------------------( ___ )
 | / | The   funny   thing  perhaps   is   that | \ |
 | / | Microsoft's  final  withdrawl from  this | \ |
 | / | ongoing  debate could indicate that they | \ |
 | / | had  devious (or even devilish) plans to | \ |
 | / | fork  and fragment this existing format. | \ |
 | / | I  already  have a hard time keeping  up | \ |
 | / | with  the latest of Adobe and KGhostView | \ |
 | / | fails  to render a few fonts with a fine | \ |
 | / | level  of  resolution,  or  the  correct | \ |
 | / | aspect ratio. History suggests that this | \ |
 | / | was  a  possible path of  operation  for | \ |
 | / | Microsoft,  looking  into the  long-term | \ |
 | / | future.  Think  HTML, to name  just  one | \ |
 | / | example.                                 | \ |

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
Tasks: 174 total,   1 running, 165 sleeping,   0 stopped,   8 zombie