Re: [News] Google Earth for Linux Has Arrived (Beta)

__/ [ M ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 20:33 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ M ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 17:06 \__

>>> Installed OK, although I had to add the KDE menu items manually.
>>>
>>> Not sure if I installed it to the right place as I just accepted the
>>> defaults, seems to want to run in 'admin' mode.
>>>
>>> Silly question, how would you uninstall it if you wanted to?
>>

>> There is an executable called 'uninstall'. Default installation path is
>> /home/<you>/googlearth , so you will find it there. I wonder if you left
>> the box ticked for a sort link to be created (shortcut); /home/<you> was
>> the path, IIRC. The latest stage of the installer seems to have modified
>> my KDE menus (kicker) accordingly.
>>

>>> Doesn't appear in the package manager, probable not too surprising, but I
>>> must confess as that is the central location for packages I'm not too
>>> fond of installing things that don't appear in it.
>>

>> The program was not installed outside your personal profile, so a simple
>> rm -rf ~/googlearth would probably do a complete removal, with the
>> exception of settings, the link, and the menu entry. That's what the
>> un-installation script is for, I suppose.
>>

> Looks like it has put Uninstall in /usr/local/googleearth. May be I screwed
> up somewhere.

No, it seems to have had it installed correctly, to be shared among all
users. I deliberately did this the wrong way because I want my programs to
'travel' with the data.

> Thanks Roy :-)

No problem, mate.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Oracle: Linux adoption to accelerate
  8:15am  up 47 days 13:48,  10 users,  load average: 1.13, 0.81, 0.85