Re: [News] People Advised to Avoid 64-bit Version of Vista, Regardless of CPU

__/ [ arachnid ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 21:31 \__

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:28:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | Conclusion:
>> |
>> | Most users with 64-bit hardware should install the 32-bit (x86) version
>> | of Vista.
>> |
>> | Vista x64 is the turning point for operating systems as they transition
>> | to 64-bit. Currently, however, the majority of users will be very
>> | disappointed by installing Vista x64. The lack of 64-bit drivers for
>> | most current hardware will be very disappointing and frustrating to
>> | most users. Why push for 64-bit now anyway? The performance gains
>> | promised by 64-bit will not be seen for years until 64-bit compiled
>> | versions of software is the norm.
>> `----
>
> Poor DuFuS. I guess it'll be a few more years, huh?

Meanwhile, I come to admire my best friend's machine, on which we set up
Mandriva 2006 (64-bit). All programs work perfectly and fully exploit the
capabilities of the processor. When that friend used Windows XP, he was
sadly caged in that 32-bit threshold.

When you come to think about it, the popularity of 64-bit processor could
further drive that wave of Linux adopation. Vista 64-bit is still
'proof-of-concept', on the face of it, and it needs to mature. The 60% code
re-write, as well as many missing features will undoubtedly take precedence
in development.

Windows: holding back novelty.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  8:05am  up 47 days 13:38,  10 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.90, 0.94