Re: [News] Apache Saves Bandwidth - 70-80% Reduction

  • Subject: Re: [News] Apache Saves Bandwidth - 70-80% Reduction
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:51:36 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:52:51 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:31:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> (and standards-based Web browser support the feature)
>>
>> How To Save Traffic With Apache2's mod_deflate
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In this tutorial I will describe how to install and configure mod_deflate
>>| on an Apache2 web server. mod_deflate allows Apache2 to compress files and
>>| deliver them to clients (e.g. browsers) that can handle compressed content
>>| which most modern browsers do. With mod_deflate, you can compress HTML,
>>| text or XML files to approx. 20 - 30% of their original sizes, thus
>>| saving you server traffic and making your modem users happier.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.howtoforge.com/apache2_mod_deflate
>
> Must be a slow news day.  Now you're simply reposting how-to's.
>
> You know, IIS has the same feature.

I don't know alot about the internal workings of IIS, but mod_deflate is
more than a simple compression step, the ability to server compressed
data (compressing the .html or other data on the fly) has been in Apache
for years. (see mod_gzip for details) What mod_deflate adds is more
flexibility, a better method for caching the compressed data (the"old"
way was to pass it through a caching proxy, which is kinda clunky) and a
better thought out configuration.

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff are made of.