Re: [News] Microsoft Embraces Spyware

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On 13 Jun 2006 08:38:08 -0400, Ray Ingles wrote:
>
>> On 2006-06-13, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> How come you don't call it spyware when open source projects do this?
>>
>>  Because you can easily (and *completely*) opt out with OSS. Indeed, all
>> the bug-reporting software I'm familiar with for Linux is opt-in; the
>> reports are not sent unless specific authorization is granted by the
>> user. And the reporting software can be easily and permanently disabled.
>
> The Microsoft reports are opt-in as well.  Even when enabled, they ask you
> if you would like to send the report to Microsoft.  So, what was your point
> again?

Ask this fellow how you opt-in or opt-out:

   http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/10/AR2006061000135.html

   Notifications also looks for new instructions from Microsoft every
   day. The company says these daily checks (which it plans to slow to
   once every 14 days) let it adjust the program's behavior if
   problems arise. That raises an alarming point: Notifications is
   pre-release software, tested without users' consent.

--
   /\ STOP! This post has not passed Microsoft Logo testing to verify its
  /  \      compatibility with Microsoft FUD.  Microsoft strongly recommends