Re: Maybe BigDaddy is Here to Stay...

__/ [ davidof ] on Monday 12 June 2006 08:51 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>  but nobody outside
>> Google knew exactly why the pages were being dropped.
>
> Having worked on a number of large infrastructure and software projects
> I suspect that probably no-one within Google knows exactly why this is
> either ! Certainly not Matt who has a belief: "I can believe that out
> toward the edge of the crawl, we would index fewer pages." but not a
> definite answer.

This sounds too crypic to me, but I am through thinking wishfully. Traffic is
sustained at the old levels, but I know for a fact that Google are missing
information which exists in my main Web site and nowhere else. I used to be
able to search my own site for indexed information, but these days are over.
I might need to employ Beagle or other native (desktop-side) software as a
substitute, but I quite liked it when strangers could pursue information
'along with me', so to speak

Many Webmasters whose posts I read tell a similar story and urge Google to
reverse, however this can be achieved. Some public domain meterial sites
(mirrors) and even Wikipedia mirrors remain fully indexed, at the expense of
those with original material. Even scrapers and offenders returned to life,
but it's other people who have the evidence.

If all of this was intentional and no error was involved, I doubt Cutts,
Googleguy, and yet another Sitemaps lady would shatter the reputation of
Google, by declaring algorithm bugs, which they did. Again, _wishful trails
of consciousness_. I must abstain.

Best wishes,

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
  9:15am  up 45 days 14:48,  11 users,  load average: 1.25, 0.69, 0.54