Re: We Want Desktops

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 12 June 2006 09:05 \__

> Over the years, pundits, wizards, /architects/ and CEOs have espoused what
> they think will be the next big thing in personal computing.
>
> They create bizarre oddities, replete with gloved mice, helmets, tiny
> screens that fit in our pocket, wireless pens...they make them portable,
> soluable, and washable.

Standing out from the flock is frequently the key to success, by
distinguishing oneself. I gave up on laptops last year (after 6 years)
because I found them uncomfortable to work with, so as you say, convention
is often the most pragmatic thing. 'Novelty' needn't /necessarily/ be an
improvement. To list a couple of examples:

* Software: Flock

        Web browser, Web 2.0/social networks Firefox derivative - leader recently
        ditched the team.

* Hardware: Origami PC

        "A disaster", http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32339

* Internet: Live.com search

        Slow, worst in terms of usability

> But you know what.   Now more than ever, what people really want are
> powerful *desktops* -- that's right.  A tower, and good sound, and a great
> monitor and comfortable keyboard that you can /type/ at...not some Bauhaus
> inspired overpriced portable transitor radio -- but a desktop.
>
> And you know what else they want?  High quality software to run on it.
> That
> is why Linux is succeeding so much.   Because it does what people really
> want -- allow them to run the personal computers in the way that they
> always felt they should be run -- with volumes of software and stability
> and not rebooting every hour and not full of bugs and viruses.

About software: you're right on the money. The wealth of high-quality (not
Windows freeware) software is astounding.

About stability: see sig. At nighttime, the computer runs computer vision
experiments and never has it failed.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  9:05am  up 45 days 14:38,  11 users,  load average: 1.15, 0.75, 0.42