Re: [News] Apple Macs Have Their Problems, Too

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Monday 12 June 2006 08:49 \__

> On 2006-06-12, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> Perhaps that's the problem with software that is strictly bound to
>> hardware. No competition = no quality.
>>
>> MacBook's case discoloring
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| New MacBooks seem to have problems with the plastic used on the casing.
>>| After a few weeks of normal use, my MacBook has yellow spots all over the
>>| palm rests. Pictures included, as well as links to others having same
>>| problem.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://digg.com/apple/MacBook_s_case_discoloring
>>
>> This reminds me of:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Open Letter to the Mac Community
>>| The Truth Behind the iPod Nano "Scratch" Class Action Suit
>> `----
>>
>>                                         http://jasontomczak.com/
>
> If the new macbooks are like the old Ibooks, it's an old story. The
> case is some space shuttle polymer-like plastic, and over time, subject to
> discoloring from such things as sunlight and body oils. This is one of the
> reasons I liked the powerbooks: The (unknown tough metal) case takes
> a likin' and keeps on tikin'.

I think that these two flaws were worth bringing up nonetheless. I see a
large number of people who buy extra gear to protect the iPod nano. It
reminds me of screen overlays for /passé/ PDA's, operating systems that
require extra protection, or media that requires decrypting. In all three
cases, as they say, the product "Defective by Design".

> By the way, I am looking for a way to configure my powerbook to dual
> boot OSX Jaguar and Linux, since I would like to have the ability
> to run both.

This should be a good link:

http://www.intuitive.com/blog/ubuntu_linux_yellowdog_linux_and_mac_os_x_all_on_one_powerbook.html

Best wishes,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  9:00am  up 45 days 14:33,  11 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.14, 0.17