Re: Sony PlayStation Outsells XBox 360 in the States

__/ [ asj ] on Monday 12 June 2006 06:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> PlayStation 2 outselling Xbox 360 in US
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Like a good soccer match, the monthly sales battles between the Xbox 360
>> | and the PlayStation 2 have a lot of exciting back-and-forth. So far,
>> | however, the PlayStation 2 has remained in control of the match,
>> | outselling the Xbox 360 in six of the seven months since the Xbox
>> | 360's debut. The situation is a strong reminder that Sony's PS3 gamble,
>> | while huge, has a little more cushioning than is commonly recognized.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060611-7030.html
>>
>> PlayStation 3 comes with GNU/Linux preinstalled and it is said to function
>> just as a standard personal computer.
>
> the problem is that sony is selling the PSP3 at a higher price than
> competitors....i'm rooting for them obviously, but some surveys note
> that people are definitely turned off by the high price. we'll see.

Sony is yet to bind some extra added value to their product (which is *NOT*
ready yet, unlike the XBox 360). Recent stories indicate this is the case.
Sony is a long-standing company. It would be the last company to make a
suicidal mistake with the pricing. They fix the price in accordance on the
perceived merits which they intend to deliver. Like Microsoft, they have
deep pockets, so they *could* cover hardware costs. Wait and see.

> yes, the xbox 360, while not a disaster, has not done as well as hoped.
> supply problems, hardware problems, etc.

Let's not forget the accumulated lost of 4 billion dollars (and still
counting). Even Ballmer described the XBox as disappointing when he faced
the investors and the press, but he didn't use that exact word (he only ever
insinuates).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:40am  up 45 days 13:13,  11 users,  load average: 0.48, 1.03, 1.13