Re: How to start Frozen-Bubble game on Ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: How to start Frozen-Bubble game on Ubuntu
  • From: "Mathew P." <Mathew@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 05:04:31 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 2006-06-11, Larry Qualig spake thusly:

> Mathew P. wrote:
>>
>> On 2006-06-10, Larry Qualig spake thusly:
>>
>>  -------8<------

>> > I normally read 90% or so of the "News" stories that Roy posts. But
>> > when he suddenly starts posting links to blog entries from some
>> > annonymous poster named "Grouch" and passing them off as "News" or
>> > links to a HOWTO and calling that news then it's serves no useful
>> > purpose. It becomes "quantity" over "quality." There are millions of
>> > Linux HOWOTO's and BLOG entries on the web. Are we going to see "News"
>> > postings with links to each and every one of these?
>> >
>> > BTW... I think Frozen-Bubble is pretty cool too. Simple but addictive.
>>
>> Just an observation: while Roy's posts are often links to/quotes from,
>> news stories, quotes of editorials, or links to helpful tip sites, I
>> don't recall him ever characterizing them as news posts.
>
> Take a look at the *title* of the thread. When he sticks a [NEWS] in
> the title he's charecterizng it as news. Even if it's a link to a howto
> or a link to a blog entry by some annonymous poster named "grouch" - it
> all contains the [NEWS] moniker.

Yes, conceded. So he uses the word 'news' in the title. So what?
define 'news':

"The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48"
News News (n=uz), n From New; cf. F. nounelles. News is
   plural in form, but is commonly used with a singular verb.
   1. A report of recent occurrences; information of something
      that has lately taken place, or of something before
      unknown; fresh tidings; recent intelligence.
      1913 Webster

Apply it or not. It's up to you. By the way, If you think that
'news' outlets such as CNN are strictly weather, stock quotes,
and unbiased recording of events, you are mistaken. A great deal of
editorial content is inserted into each story (that's why they
call it a 'story') especially in domestic publications. Bias in
these tends to run along political borders coupled with a lean to the left
or right as the regional case may be.

>> Frankly Larry,
>> the guy is free to post whatever he wants. You don't like it? Plonk him.
>
> I'm not interested in taking the cowardly way out. Most people who
> 'plonk' are simply afraid to read what the other user has to say.

If you say so. There is nothing cowardly about plonking someone
you don't want to hear from, especially in a high volume newsgroup
like this one. I will agree that some use plonking as a childish
display of na-na-na-na-na-na (:p , so it can be annoying at times. The
better of the methods is scoring; you can set it up to filter out the
noise, or specifically tune into stations you want to hear from.

I generally plonk those who include the word(s) fsck, di##head, idiot,
dork or variations, withing the first paragraph. From time to time, I also
put a timed plonk on those regulars who have a history of posting
well structured, usually fairly well spoken, but obvious astroturfing/strawman
habits. This gives me a chance to observe them periodically to see
if they have changed their ways.

I also plonk those newcomers that arrive here (whether sock puppet or not is
irrelevant) with a nym that refers to a body part, portion thereof, or is
in general, assinine.

In general, I plonk anyone I please any time I please, permanently, or
temporarily. If you think this is cowardice, more power to you.
But contemplate for a moment, the fact that I haven't plonked you.

I rarely agree with you, but your posts are usually interesting, and
I don't recall you ever getting innapropriately nasty with anyone.

> Besides, if it's real "news" then I'm usually interested in reading it.
> But don't call an item [NEWS] when it's merely a whining blog entry
> from "grouch." Also... if it's "his opinion" in the thread title that's
> called an "opinion" and not "news."

News is always opinion to one degree or another. If you don't believe me,
take a look at the coverage of Iraq.

One final, and telling, note: A rather obscure blogger made history by
breaking an exclusive, high profile story. His name is Matt Drudge. The
story was the Clinton sex scandal.

So the 'grouch' made it into COLA, under the heading of news. So what?

Regards,

Mathew

"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices