Re: SCO Looking Weaker Than Ever

__/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Friday 30 June 2006 16:40 \__

> Mark Kent wrote:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> > SCO hits iceberg
>> >
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>> >
>> >                 http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8958786128.html
>>
>> The case going the same way as SCO themselves are going, I think.
>
> I don't know much about this area of law, but one thing that's become
> apparent to me is that SCO has become a litigation machine.  By that I
> mean SCO exists purely to pursue lawsuits against IBM, Novell,
> whomever, in an attempt to discredit or destroy Linux.  I have read
> that SCO also conduct business selling their particular flavour of
> UNIX, but I'm sceptical as to how profitable that business really is.

SCO is among Microsoft's assets (see Wikipedia, for example). I can't recall
the actual numbers (neither is it worth looking that up), but SCO's
spendings are an order of magnitude (times ten-ish?) higher than their
revenue. It's a miracle to many that they still exist. One of their
customers is Microsoft, who IBM were trying to prove funnelled money to SCO.
That subpoena request was never fruitful.

>>From what I've read, it seems SCO has been financed by Microsoft.  They
> have been bought by Microsoft and are being run as a means to drag
> Linux's corporate supporters through court.  This tactic is failing,
> and I think Microsoft have lost interest in this particular method of
> destroying their competitor.

FUD is another such tactic. Their is quality, there is perception, and there
is litigiousness. In an ideal world, several such factors should be
discarded.

> When the SCO anti-Linux lawsuits have played out, Microsoft will
> probably let their puppet die.  Is there any reason to keep SCO viable?
>  Seems to me UNIX is declining, being replaced by Linux.  IBM and
> Novell seem more interested in Linux nowadays.  Sun have open-sourced
> Solaris.  What exactly has SCO got going for it?

They unveil some dummy products that stand no chance in the market. It makes
them look like they are not merely somebody else's puppet.

> It was an interesting idea - Microsoft can't defeat Linux in the
> marketplace, so they tried to destroy it in the courtroom instead.  But
> sueing IBM?  I find that bizarre.

Microsoft recently invested 0.5 billion dollars in an attempt to compete with
IBM directly, i.e. the aim is to weaken or extinguish IBM. Gates adamantly
insisted that his biggest fear is IBM. That was roughly 4 months ago.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:50pm  up 63 days 21:53,  13 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.56, 0.58