Re: [News] Supercomputers Budget High in the US

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 18:37 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> US to spend millions on ultrafast supercomputers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The US government is planning to spend hundreds of millions of dollars
>> | over the next several years to develop huge supercomputers with power
>> | beyond anything available today. The aim is to address the most
>> | challenging problems facing science, as well national security and
>> | industry.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1501551069&rid=-50
>>
>> More deployments for GNU/Linux, which account for the crushing majority in
>> the sector.
>
> I wish somebody would hook up a bunch of these Linux supercomputers for
> some kind of thin client access for the basic user.

That must be precisely how this whole shebang works. You can SSH and run your
tasks on this computational server. Speaking from experience, the way I
deploy my experiments involves working through SSH and FTP to get the code
ready, then running it overnight across different nodes. With such setups
you don't actually get physical access to the machine, unless you really
want to.

This type of experience seems to be teaching people on campus how to use
command-line Linux, which is encouraging. I have seen people whom you never
would have thought could master bash. But they happily run experiments and
collect the results. The bigger issue are the people who look over these
servers. I spoke to one of them over the phone and their knowledge of *nix
is very poor. It seems outlandish to them.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  3:00am  up 62 days  8:03,  12 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.44, 0.56