Re: Journalist Takes the Full Linux Dive and Survives *Gasp*

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Wednesday 28 June 2006 01:06 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Life without Windows
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubuntu, a user-friendly version of Linux, has been running so nicely on
>> | my home personal computer that I decided to do an experiment. I wrote
>> | down a list of tasks I normally do with Windows XP and decided to see
>> | how many of them I could do on Linux.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Frustration faded away and a sense of satisfaction set in. I had
>> | survived the weekend without Windows.
>> `----
>>

> (Correct link)
>
>  http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business06_june27_2006
>
> While the review certainly wasn't negative, I don't think it was
> anything that was exactly praising of Ubuntu either. The issues he had
> (audio drivers, video, burning CDs, printing, etc.) would be a turn-off
> for most casual home users.

To echo your last sentence:

Windows. The issues one has (Registry bloat, DLLL(hell), viruses, AV
software, spyware, disk fragmentation, FS errors, cost/absence of software,
decentralised updates of software....) would be a turn-off for most casual
users.

And that, mind you, only pertains to operation and maintenance. How many
users do you know who actually install Windows from scratch rather than have
it preinstallled, or available on a quick restore/recovery CD/s.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
  8:00am  up 61 days 13:03,  12 users,  load average: 1.39, 0.99, 0.59