Re: Something a bit different for an OS.

  • Subject: Re: Something a bit different for an OS.
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 00:38:53 +0100
  • Jlaforums: I am NOT a "Guest", I am BANNED from JLAforums but they STILL archive my USENET posts!
  • M$-windows: Bullmanure-enhanced.com
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on  Wed, 28 Jun 2006
00:01:48 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 23:29 \__
>
>> Anyone who wants to try out an OS with a different approach to things, &
>> has a spare drive/partition to install it on, try SymphonyOS -
>> http://www.symphonyos.com/
>>
>> Sceenshots: http://www.symphonyos.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=63
>>
>> It's based on Debian & still in BETA stage, but it's interesting & seems
>> quite promising IMHO.
>
> The following link might be of interest:
>
> http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20060621SymphonyOS.html
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Mezzo does away with menus and uses the corners of the screen as click
> | points to bring up desklet applications. These apps are simple scripts
> | that output html snippets; that ultimately gets drawn on the screen by
> | Orchestra. If you know Perl and a little HTML, you can produce your
> | own desklets in seconds.
> `----

It was of interest, thanks. :)

> The screenshots illustrate much of what's available. Very impressive, in my
> opinion. Also worth admiration is Sun's Looking Glass:
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/ (video demo therein)

I have a demo version of that on a live-cd. It's pretty good, though being
a live-cd as opposed to being installed on an HDD, it's hard to say how
fast it really is.