Re: [News] Windows 98 Users Headed for Linux?

begin  oe_protect.scr
The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
><mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:09:00 +0100
><c8n7n3-usi.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Examining options for Windows 98 users
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                                 http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000202
>>
>> A low-end liveCD would be interesting.  Something based on the 386
>> version of debian, with lightweight window manager, simple games,
>> low-end browser.  Is dillo good enough?  It's certainly quick!  There's
>> a lot of text-mode stuff which would be fine, if people were happy with
>> it.  You can probably still find netscape 4 around or even netscape 3.1,
>> but I expect that they would have security issues which remain
>> unpatched.  Opera might be good, although it's not free.
>>

> Erm....if I'm not mistaken a 386-era system would probably
> have at most 32 MB or 64 MB of RAM, and older 386's (I
> have a 386/20 Mobo) might not even reach that.

I think you can gather two or three machines of that era, pull as much
ram as possible into one machine, throw all the HDDs into it, and give
it the fastest processor.  You can get surprisingly good performance
from such a machine for most web uses, it's only the very modern
graphical games and high-def videos which would normally be a problem,
assuming you keep off KDE/Gnome/Enlightenment and on something easy like
tab or xfce.

> Hmm...now I'm not sure *how* to expand to 8 MB on this beastie.  SIPPs
> turn out to be 30 pins and while I do have a SIPP of sorts, it's not 30
> pins...

:-))

> Maybe it's just as well it's gathering dust in my closet... :-)

It seems a shame to waste these machines, but...

Good day to avoid cops.  Crawl to work.