Re: [News] Windows 98 Users Headed for Linux?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 14:09 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Examining options for Windows 98 users
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                                 http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000202
>>
>> A low-end liveCD would be interesting.  Something based on the 386
>> version of debian, with lightweight window manager, simple games,
>> low-end browser.  Is dillo good enough?  It's certainly quick!  There's
>> a lot of text-mode stuff which would be fine, if people were happy with
>> it.  You can probably still find netscape 4 around or even netscape 3.1,
>> but I expect that they would have security issues which remain
>> unpatched.  Opera might be good, although it's not free.
>
> It's actually free, but not Free. You can download and enjoy it without any
> adverts. This transition in pricing occurred about 8 months ago, if my
> memory does not betray me. You can still get widgets, upgrades, etc. Opera
> is quick and not as resource-hungry as Mozilla Firefox. When I installed
> version 8.5 it was a drag-and-drop job, under SuSE 8.1.

Could be useful, then, but not open-source, which might make it a little
more difficult to put it on a livecd should any tweaking be required.
Maybe an installer might make it - there's probably one in debian
anyway...

Good day to avoid cops.  Crawl to work.