Re: Text-based spreadsheets

  • Subject: Re: Text-based spreadsheets
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:05:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 15:00 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> I've been looking for a text-based spreadsheet so that I can
>> peruse a spreadsheet without firing up a GUI.
>>
>> I've seen "sc" and "oleo", but I was wondering if there are
>> any such beasts that can read Gnumeric, Excel, or OD formats.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Ummm, it seems so long ago now that plugins for lotus123 added graphical
> capabilities, but I think the consequence is that people no longer write
> number-only spreadsheets.
>
> Perhaps it could be possible to persuade the gnumeric team to produce
> some kind of filter which could dump out the numeric-only and range-only
> parts of an xl spreadsheet into sc format?
>
> Or, perhaps, a version of gnumeric with a console-driver?

With the exception of equations and other such 'special cases', would it be
practical to work in CSV form? Or tab delimited? Or space delimited? This
might be hard if you haven't a good tool and if the values begin bouncing
sideways due to length 'imbalance'...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
  5:00pm  up 60 days 22:03,  11 users,  load average: 1.69, 1.16, 1.18