Re: [News] Could Linux be Finally Overtaking Windows?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 16:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I'm well aware this isn't the case for every distribution, and I'm also
>>| well aware that this latest version of Ubuntu isn't that plug and play
>>| friendly to everyone. However, if Linux carries on this way, and
>>| provides this support universally, I think its future looks very
>>| bright indeed.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://tt-blogs.com/comment.php?id=34
>
> This has not been about windows 'catching up', rather, it's been about
> linux having to exceed windows in every possible area so signficantly
> that even the most vicious vendor-lock, exit-barrier, dubious contract,
> cannot make windows worthwhile.  Had this been an even playing field,
> linux would be on huge numbers of desktops by now, such is the power of
> an abused monopoly.

Do you mean "abused" or "abusive"? I guess it could go either way, or both. I
am still stunned to see that Linux is not a majority platform, even in the
server room. It is very distinct. Unlike other platforms it stands for
freedom (or "free") and Freedom. I guess this explains why I spend so much
time raving about it... it's only abuse that made it possible to hinder
adoption, primarily through lockins and politics (e.g. "don't port this
application to Linux", "GPL is cancer", "I'll pay you to change your server
to Windows" and the list goes on and on). It is one big, stinkin' corrupted
industy, for the most part.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Tasks: 170 total,   2 running, 150 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie