Re: Oracle to Take Linux and Become Number One Linux Distributor?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 11:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ samir.ribic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Saturday 24 June 2006 20:23 \__

>>> I always wondered, why Oracle did not do it 8 years ago. Oracle DBMS
>>> supplied some kernel patches, and installing of Oracle for Linux was
>>> not easy job. So, now they can pack Oracle server to be installed
>>> together with operating system.
>>>>
>>> <snip />
>>
>> True, but they already do this. And it is probably well overdue.
>>
>> Oracle Eases Linux Path
>>
>>         http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=7680
>>
>>         http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060612/sfm046.html?.v=52
>>
>> Oracle wanted to buy JBoss before Red Hat snatched them. I believe that
>> Oracle *still* wants to buy Red Hat. But, hey, what's the difference
>> between Larry Ellison and God?
>>
>> God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison.
>
> This marketplace is positively ripe for consolidation, I think.
> My concern would be that companies like Oracle, which do not have the Open
> ethos as their main driver, nor a culture of working in open development,
> may have a stifling effect on the companies they purchase.  For example,
> if Oracle bought Red Hat, would RH continue to support multiple databases?
> Would JBoss continue to play will with mysql and postgrsql?

I believe that this intent to buy a Linux company is to indeed a case of
sabotage. Red Hat is responsible for many of the servers out there and
without up-to-date support or affinity for OS databases, Oracle would reign
and get its investment back. It is no coincidence that Oracle also tried to
but (=eliminate) some of its most formidable rivals. What happened to
PeopleSoft, one might wonder... *wink*

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - Mark, pardom my typos. I write all of these follow-ups very quickly.
It's about pace rather than precision...

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Tasks: 169 total,   1 running, 150 sleeping,   0 stopped,  18 zombie