Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 08:17 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Linonut ] on Sunday 25 June 2006 16:45 \__
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>>> wisdom:

>>> Sounds like an excellent way to make people purchase more licenses.
>>
>> It's more of a way of locking people's music collection, binding its
>> accessibility to a platform/product. It's a bit like DRM. Mark Pilgrim
>> recently decided to ditch Mac OS X in favour of Ubuntu. His albums were
>> stored in proprietary, binary format, so he realised the merit of
>> openness.
>>

> As open platforms, applications, systems, formats, middleware, protocols,
> interfaces, operating systems and so on gradually work their way across
> the landscape, I think more and more people will realise that what they
> thought was good enough, or the problems they were prepared to accept
> in order to use a particular tool were/are simply not worth it.
>
> The most recent Ubuntu CD has persuaded me that linux is now perfectly
> suited to 99% of 'desktop' usage.  Previously, I'd considered that it were
> good enough for managed desktops (government, companies, call centres),
> thin clients, any kind of server, but now, it's definitely good enough
> to hit the average user's desktop too.
>
> I note that Maplin are increasingly advertising "pc only" deals, so for
> a Â200 or so, you can have a 2GHz celery, put an Ubuntu CD with it, and
> it's probably cheaper than using a games console!

The same Celery can be bought for about GBP 130 (excluding a monitor).
Speaking of Maplin, been there two hours ago. The goddamn Palm had battery
drainage last night and I didn't have a recent-enough backup (third minor
data loss in the past four years). It devoured 3 hours of my day so far and
I still have not restored everything. I'll blog about it later today and
vent some frustration in this awkward way. At Maplin I bought a USB card
reader, but it couldn't save my day (or 5 more days of calendar data).
Blimey. I might miss some events or meetings... upsetting me a lot... *sigh*

Can the Nokia 770 import AddressDB.pbd, DatebookDB.pdb, etc. at ease and
without loss? I guess its PIM applications are still flaky and poor (I read
about these developments every once in a while)... *sigh* I'll just need to
charge and back up more often. It's extremely rare, but it's extremely
annoying, too.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  1:50pm  up 60 days 18:53,  11 users,  load average: 1.74, 1.06, 0.79