Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

__/ [ Tim Smith ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:04 \__

> In article <1255901.bmDUVEogsk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> accessibility to a platform/product. It's a bit like DRM. Mark Pilgrim
>> recently decided to ditch Mac OS X in favour of Ubuntu. His albums were
>> stored in proprietary, binary format, so he realised the merit of
>> openness.
>
> Uhm...it was his email whose format he did not like, not his albums.

I was going to mention E-mail, too. His albums, IIRC, had some
manually-assigned metadata, which was lost and could not be recovered. He
also argued that his mail archives -- an historical life record -- was
stored in obscure ways.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
 10:10am  up 60 days 15:13,  12 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.70, 0.68