Re: [News] Linux Breaks Its Scalability Records

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 June 2006 12:44 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:35:39 +0100
>><1309659.mUYQW2JNks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> World's Largest Linux System Image Achieved on SGI Altix 4700 Blade
>>> Servers
>>>
>>> SGI Shatters Linux Scalability Records Yet Again With 1,024 Processors
>>> Running Under Single Copy of Linux
>>>
>>> http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=47559
>>
>> Interesting, if a bit strange since the HLRB II/LRZ system
>> seems to have 4x as many processors as Linux can currently
>> address.  But nice if one needs that sort of computing
>> power for an SMP or grid computing application! :-)
>>
>> (Has Microsoft responded to this challenge yet? :-) )
>>

> MS did announce some plans to get Windows into the supercomputer world,
> but afairc, they were laughed at by most...

True. Yesterday at the meeting I said that it's looked upon as "somewhat of a
joke" and that IBM consultants confirm Linux is by far superior. This seemed
to have gotten the message across. See my reply to Ghost.

> ...this seems to be increasingly
> the response of industry watchers, as MS try so hard to talk themselves
> out of this nasty little corner, very much of their own making.
>
> I assume that as the exodus of talent from MS continues, such silly
> plans will be quietly abandoned, and as has been speculated elsewhere,
> some new management might be able to take a second stab at getting
> something good out onto the desktop.

They are working on Singularity, but I believe its scope is research only.

> I think it would take a strong decision, but MS will need to abandon
> windows, grab as much of the Wine thinking as they can (ideally, buy
> codeweavers), and get their Office suite onto a linux or BSD distro
> asap.  BSD would probably be preferred by MS, but as they genuinely
> appear to lack the capability to write any maintainable code themselves,
> probably a linux distro would be better for MS in the longer run.
> Anyway, if they did that, they could continue to supply desktop machines
> into the significant proportion of customers who have not yet abandoned
> them.  Badged up in the right way, it would slow the defection onto
> fully open systems for many organisations.

I believe I have heard the same suggestion somewhere else. And it wasn't you
who said that...

> Unfortunately for MS, an increasing number of governments is making the
> shift anyway, so MS need to be quick, and need to support ODF asap.

It'll cost it a lot initially, if not in the long term as well. The days of
lockins are over, so competition will be based on quality and cost, rather
than immobility.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    England - 1  Ecuador - 0
Cpu(s):  20.3% user,   3.6% system,  17.9% nice,  58.3% idle