Re: QUINN'S REVENGE

  • Subject: Re: QUINN'S REVENGE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:37:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 25 June 2006 15:30 \__

http://www.weeklydig.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/article.view/issueID/5461f599-4327-4ef8-9df3-a7aed9312a07/articleID/52ac5c49-7f28-46be-bce1-f28750835a0a/nodeID/4b1339d1-be3a-44a2-be8b-1484963a003a

> Oh indeed:-)
> Also this:-
> ----------------------
> Peter Brown, executive director of the Free Software foundation, believes
> Quinn?s resignation enabled the legislature?s anti-ODF stance to soften.
> ?It was a masterful stroke,? he said. ?His opponents were very embarrassed.
> He created a wave of disgust for what happened, and it freed Massachusetts
> to be a leading light on this issue.?
> ------------------------
>
> In my view, it did even more than that - it freed Quinn himself to speak
> out around the world on the subject, unmuzzled now, not needing to account
> to the Boston Globe for his expenses, and not needing to weigh his words
> because of his employment!

He seems to be a highly sought-after speaker, having made the headlines. He
is not depicted as a rebel, but as an entrepreneur/trailblazer rather. As
Denmark, Belgium, and soon enough India (no confirmation, only willingless
at this stage) are jumping onto the same wave, Massachusetts will no longer
be perceived at as a black sheep. It will be remembered as the seminal venue
of a revolution -- openness to prevail some of the most commonplace formats.
By the way, didn't Norway say it would ditch Office by 2007? I think the PM
(or was it President) said this last year. A quick Slashdot search would
find this...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Cpu(s):  20.3% user,   3.6% system,  18.3% nice,  57.7% idle