Re: [News] WinFS Dies (And Yet ANOTHER Feature Conceded)

TheLetterK wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:51:25 +0100, [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> WinFS is Dead
>> Here's a genuine query for the Winvocates; no troll:
>>
>> Name just one compelling reason to upgrade from XP to Vista.
>
> I'm not an advocate, but I'll name one: DirectX 10

Overhyped IMHO.

Throughout various generations of both graphics hardware and DirectX,
other than an increase in FPS, I never noticed much difference at all.

Plus, most of the games *I* play (under Cedega) don't even use DX9
calls (natively or otherwise), so I don't see how DX10 is going to
benefit me, even if I switched back to Windows.

"Less overhead" apparently, oh and "easier to program" ... yawn.

I think graphics card manufacturers (er ... *both* of them) are just
clutching at straws trying to figure out how to make people upgrade
hardware that *really* doesn't need upgraded, ably assisted by
Microsoft (of course) who happily oblige by bumping version numbers to
make people believe the upgrade is necessary.

It's just a big scam AFAICT.

Any other reason to upgrade to Vista, or is that it?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 02:59:33 up 7 days,  3:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.05