Re: [News] Oracle to Take Linux and Become Number One Linux Distributor?

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 24 June 2006 21:22 \__

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:03:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Ellison Continues to Talk About Oracle Linux Move
>>>
>>> Oracle CEO Makes Commments About Linux During Conference Call
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://linux.sys-con.com/read/239996.htm
>>
>> He may talk about it, but he also talked about buying Apple.
>> I highly doubt he is going to embrace something he cannot own and control.
>
> Why control other distros if you have your own distro?

I'm  inclined to agree here. Ellison could establish his own
custom-made  Linux distribution, which is optimised for  the
task  at hand. With his budget, he could employ a large army
of  engineers.  This  could, in due time, and owing  to  the
nature  of  the  GPL, be also exploited  by  PostgreSQL  and
MySQL.  They  could  benefit  from Oracle's  work.  So,  the
competitive advantage is somewhat jeopardised.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Cpu(s):  20.4% user,   3.7% system,  18.6% nice,  57.3% idle