Re: Symbian vs Palm vs Pocket PC

__/ [ Jessie ] on Saturday 24 June 2006 15:56 \__

> My Palm (TX) has been a very close and important aspect of my work and my
> productivity.
> However, I am getting rather upset with the poor build quality of the Palm
> machines and I am thinking of changing to another OS platform.

You're in luck. PalmSource/ACCESS is being developed as we speak. It is a
GNU/Linux-based operating system that is backward-compatible w.r.t. Palm OS.
It will be a big improvement software-wise (and long-term too), but I don't
know about the hardware. After 4 years with Palm, I am more or less
satisfied with the hardware, despite the faults that I always have. The
neighbour's lawn always seems greener. When you get there and inspect the
grass at finer levels you will come to find similar problems, as well as
stability and data retention issues that you never had before.

> Could anyone here direct me as to the pros and cons between Symbian ( say
> S60) , Palm and PPC smartphones?

6 mobile giants have recently liaised to develop a new mobile platform that
is based on Linux (yes, I like saying that word! *wink*). Moreover, analysts
predicted that only Linux and Windows will survive in this sector, i.e.
Symbian is headed nowhere.

> My main use of my PIM would be with Tasks, Calendar, Memo and Contacts
> functions plus the occasional spreadsheet.
> I also would like a 3MP camera in my phone/PDA and ability to access WLAN.
>
> Please advise on the pros and cons of each system (or direct me to sites
> where such info are found)
> Thanks
> Jess

I suggest that you look at previous dicussions as such, even in this
newsgroup. Google Groups, for example, provides an intra-newsgroup search
facility. We could, of course, just re-iterate the same arguments...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Bring home the world cup, England!
Cpu(s):  20.4% user,   3.7% system,  18.7% nice,  57.3% idle