Re: [News] Moving from Windows to Linux - Step One: Applications

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 23 June 2006 21:01 \__

> On 2006-06-23, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>| For the last few months I have moved most of my software needs to Open
>>| Source and freeware. I have always used windows (XP now) but I wanted
>>| to depend less in propietary and / or expensive software.
>
>  That's the kind of thing that'll move Linux along. Using open-source,
> cross-platform software allows a user to 'tunnel through' the
> application barrier away from Windows with minimal effort.

True. I have always said that an impulsive move to Linux will simply not
take. This needs to be done gradually. First, dual-boot* or Open Source
Windows applications. Then, transition to Linux as the major platform. In
due time, Windows becomes obsolete. Its maintenance problems make it a
chore, which is not worth keeping. Wated disk space (DLL's) can finally be
reclaimed. The next machine to be bought will require no Windows licence.

Best wishes,

Roy

___
* Or virtualisation, or Wine and its relatives.