Re: [News] Former FreeBSD Projects Opts for GNU/Linux

Black Dragon wrote:

> Being OS agnostic, I happily use OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux, Windows 2000, and
> Windows XP. For me, it's simply a matter of selecting the proper tool for
> the task at hand. If Roy thinks that for some reason using MS Windows is
> something to be ashamed of, or a bad thing, then he is indeed in dire need
> of some clue as to what Linux advocacy should be about.

What, no NetBSD?  I've used all 3 BSD's, and they're all pretty
different and unique, although they do seem to share one common
similarity.  But I do understand why businesses want to support Linux.
It seems to have lots of talented developers.  Plus, the design of Linux
is a fresh design, not based on an older codebase like the BSD's are.  I
think it'd be a good idea to start yet another unix from scratch in the
next year or two.

People have all kinds of theories as to why Linux has taken firm control
of public mindshare.  There are the AT&T lawsuits, etc.  But I think the
main reason is that Linux was a kernel without a distribution, which
allowed for all kinds of imaginative and unique packagings.  The BSD's
were completely self-contained, which was their downfall.  Being
self-contained, vendors and individuals saw no reason to create
distributions based on BSD.  BSD also has kernels which depend heavily
on their userland, which was another mistake.  It's simply too difficult
to separate BSD kernel and userland, and create a BSD distro.  It
doesn't seem to make much sense.