Re: good job

  • Subject: Re: good job
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:44:13 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[snips]

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:32:28 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>> On the whole, I like the posts.  Most of 'em are at least somewhat
>> interesting, informative, or entertaining.
>>

> They are. Problem is, lots and lots of them are duplicates for me. I read
> other news sources myself

Well, I read other news sources too, but still find 'em, on the whole,
worth having posted.

> It would be better if Roy would focuse on "quality" and not "quantity"

I disagree.  One of the ongoing arguments the Wintrolls spew is that Linux
is "unknown" - nobody uses it (other than geeks in the server room), etc,
etc, etc.  Here he is, spewing forth an endless stream of newsbites, all
of which, in essence, say "Oh, you think so, do you, dipshit?" - while
*still* being informative, interesting and/or entertaining to at least
some of the rest of us.

> He should try to select the news where he believes most interest would
> be aroused.

Again, I disagree.  You're looking at it from a single purpose - informing
Linux users of new and interesting things.  I see it as dual purpose -
that, *plus* slamming the "nobody uses it" notion into oblivion.

Limiting it to only one aspect seems to me about like limiting one's
examination of Linux to _sales_, rather than _seats_; while it may focus
the attention on a specific "quality" detail, it misses the bigger
picture.

If all you look at is sales, you miss, entirely, the adoption of Debian
and Ubuntu and many others - potentially many million users.  If all you
look at is "interesting" news, you miss, entirely, the ability to show the
sheer ongoing adoption rate and growing popularity.  Sure, you post more
things of interest to those already "on board"... but you lose the other
aspect almost entirely.

>> If one doesn't like them, it's relatively trivial to create a filter
>> where if the poster is Roy _and_ the subject contains [News], nuke the
>> article - should clear up most of the "problem" without having to
>> completely kill file Roy.
>
> No. If I have to be bothered to act on something, it is usually all or
> nothing.

So make it black and white.  You don't want the news posts... get rid of
'em.  All it takes is a filter that says "Author is Roy, Subject contains
[News]" and voila.  Apart from the occasional typo.

Done deal.  Black and white.  The annoying item is *gone* - while leaving
the rest of his posts available to be read.

Killfiling every post by a person when they make it easy to filter out
just the bits you don't want strikes me as a little silly.