Re: Windows XPlosive

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 19:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:40:34 +0100
> <2141852.qECL0OzYsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550
>>
>> Yes, the machine was running Windows (it's a Dell, after all).
>
> Wow.  Of course it gets weirder; throw "exploding laptop" into Google
> and one gets
>
> http://www.planethalflife.com/crinity/prefusep1.htm
>
> which is a Warcraft modeling page, and

I can't recall if I built maps for Warcraft 1 or 2. I think it was 2. There
was a modeller for Windows 95.

> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3310546004598428883

COOL!!!

> which shows a laptop being run beyond design specifications because
> someone (deliberately?  inadvertantly?) plugged it into the
> wrong voltage outlet.  (I'll bet it stunk for awhile.)

Who cares about the smell? It's pricey hardware.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=13&art_id=vn20030116054419424C831328

> where a man's 15-yo daughter had one explode, apparently in her lap.
> Yow.  That'll leave a mark.

If she were a guy, this wouldn't have happened. No guy would let the battery
dissipate heat like that. Experts say it can lead to impotence, yet they say
nothing about 'motherboards' popping and blasting.

> It gets even weirder:
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1795
>
> suggests that circuity could fry itself *deliberately*, if
> a laptop deems itself stolen.  Other obvious applications
> include a combination sensornet floor/minefield in security
> areas of buildings.  Mind where you step... :-)

Cranking of the $100 laptop (the original design without the better battery)
would possibly be indirectly similar to:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/17/static-electricityl-fire/

( Reuters links has broken )

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open the Gate$ to Hell
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:35pm  up 55 days  0:49,  12 users,  load average: 1.06, 0.81, 0.89