Re: [News] Lost Leadership at Microsoft

On 2006-06-21, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 13:42 \__
>
>> begin  risky.vbs
>> <23505151.xZe85hRIue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> Too many chefs in Microsoft's kitchen?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>> Well if past history is anything to go by the sooner he goes the
>> better for MS. MS are where they are not due to technical excellence.
>> They are there because of exploiting their monopoly position and using
>> unethical means to crush any opposition. Gates is clearly a master at
>> this.
>>
>> Times have changed and technical competence, far less excellence, is
>> what is required. MS SW is lacking. They have completely ignored SW
>> quality and instead concentrated on getting as much cash from their
>> users as possible. The results of this are clear for everyone to see.
>> Windows is an utter mess. It is insecure by design. It suffers from a
>> thing Gates calls bitrot. Over 5% of Windows systems crash at least
>> twice a day according to Gates.
>>
>> Vista is clearly in serious trouble. Gates going will not be enough to
>> save MS. Its about time they brought in competent management and got
>> rid of the crud. Even if they do this it will be too little too late
>> IMO.
>
> Well, as Styeve Ballmer said to UK managers, one needs to double the initial
> estimates of people who ought to be sacked. Fortunately for Ballmer, people
> are sacking themselves, which saves him the trouble. Another key man (Hase)
> has just departed from that sinking ship. If I were an MS developer, I would
> begin to panic.

They can still salvage this. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

1. Fester needs to toss some more furniture around. Chairs aren't doing
   the trick. Something larger, like sofas and bookcases.

2. Another trip to tell Wall Street to ignore their eyes, noses, ears
   and touch should help bolster things. Look at what it accomplished
   the last time.

3. A harsher crackdown of piracy is in order. The current methods are
   working so well there's reason to believe firther actions could set
   things right in no time. What I think would be a good idea is to
   every current copy out there as a pirated version and offer to sell
   new for for the low, low price of $50 each to those that can prove
   the copies they currently have are legitimate. Everybody else
   wouldn't be prosecuted if they bought 2 new copies at full retail.

4. Coupled with 3, get ready to push Vista out the door. Who cares if
   it works? Enough is enough. But they can't push it too soon. Maybe 4
   months, enough time to scare the bejesus out of enough people that
   they spend a fortune on old copies of XP to cover for their
   "pirated" copies they already had. Then offer offer customers the
   option of "upgrading" to Vista for the low, low price of $399,
   provided they upgrade within 30 days, or pay full retail of $999
   afterward.

That's all just for starters. It's designed to keep them going in the
same direction that has worked so well in the recent past. I think
it'll work.

Hey, anybody at M$ looking for a consultant? I have more ideas to go
with those. Like His Billness being Mister Philanthropy to countries he
hasn't already bribed^H^H^H^H^H^Hsaved from the ravages of one disease
or another.

--
Life is complex. It consists of real and imaginary parts.