Re: [News] ASP/.Net Web Hosting Done Through Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] ASP/.Net Web Hosting Done Through Linux
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:00:05 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, BearItAll
<spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:38:14 +0100
<1150900694.31519.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Shell Web Hosting with .NET Framework at Ubiquity
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Ubiquity Hosting Solutions, provider of free, shared, dedicated, and
>> | colocation hosting services, has added SSH user-level access and
>> | Linux.NET Framework emulation through the Mono Project to its list of
>> | advanced hosting features.
>> |
>> | Ubiquity Hosting Solutions, an eminent Linux hosting provider, has
>> | announced two new and highly unique Linux tools to be added to their
>> | web hosting services effective immediately.
>> |
>> | "Linux is capable of so much more than what most web hosting companies
>> | are doing. We decided that the time had come to start delivering the
>> | full potential of what we offer."
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://prweb.com/releases/2006/6/prweb401365.htm
>>
>> It's almost like robbing Microsoft on its own turf, assuming Mono gets
>> used in development, without royalties.
>
> Haven't we always had ssh access to our web sites then?

Earthlink, for its part, has ftp access but AFAIK no ssh access,
for my vanity website.  Of course, were I serious enough I'd colocate
or something, but it's not really worth the bother for me at this
point.  (Besides, it costs $99/month at SevenL.net, vr.org, or
tek.alchemy -- according to Gentoo's advertising sidebars.  Not a
bad price point for a company starting out, though.)

> the .net addition is a good idea though.

.NET makes me slightly nervous.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.