Re: Gates becomes a higher power

  • Subject: Re: Gates becomes a higher power
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:10:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ws ] on Wednesday 21 June 2006 04:35 \__

> walt wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:21:35 -0700, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>

>>>Quote:
>>>-----------
>>>Gates uses money directly. He seeks out a keystone in the financial
>>>structure, and either sponsors its erection, or subsidises its
>>>destruction. The lesson Steve Jobs taught him with the provision of Apple
>>>Mac machines to American schools went home. Today, Gates investments in
>>>politically influential groups are significant and (more importantly)
>>>effective and unobtrusive. -----------
>>>End quote
>>>
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/19/bill_gates_column/
>>

>> "My family are all corporate lawyers."
>>
>> Now it makes sense why he is so ruthless.
>
> RMS was wise to have engaged a lawyer to help craft the GPL. You gotta
> have them to fight fire with fire. :-)
>
> Which is why, IMO, it seems to have come so far without serious
> litigation threatening it's key tenets.

Yes, I read that a couple of days ago and the following caught me eyes:

,----[ Quote ]
| "People think of me as this technical guy," Bill Gates once told me.
| "In fact, the important point to remember about my background is the
| fact that I was brought up to be a lawyer. My family are all corporate
| lawyers, and the conversation at every breakfast was always over the
| latest legal developments in the business space. You might say it's
| in my blood."
`----

This joins other interesting facts such as the 'unfortunate' experience of
gorwing up in a 6-bedroom house and having a grandfather who worked for the
Government (was he a senator? I guess Wikipedia includes all the answers).
Either way, the grip with governments and corporations (at a litigious
level) is without a doubt something that has helped Gates create a monopoly
over the decades.