Re: (Article) Worthless Content Blamed on Search Engines

__/ [ Borek ] on Wednesday 01 March 2006 17:54 \__

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114116587424585798-0qH9qUYuUug__vRSFKGvxIEwLGw_20070301.html?mod=blogs

> That's where the "authority sites" approach should work (at least in
> theory).
>
> Best,
> Borek

*Exactly* my thought. By the way, check out the splendid analogy at the end:

"...Google, for example, says its mission is "to organize the world's
information and make it universally accessible and useful." The way that's
written, one thinks perhaps of a satellite orbiting high above the earth,
capturing all its information but interfering with nothing.

In fact, search engines are more like a TV camera crew let loose in the
middle of a crowd of rowdy fans after a game. Seeing the camera, everyone
acts boorishly and jostles to get in front. The act of observing something
changes it."