Re: Is Dell Embarrassed About Linux?

  • Subject: Re: Is Dell Embarrassed About Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:48:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 23:19 \__

> Rex Ballard wrote:
>> ANY OEM must sign an OEM License agreement.  A manufacturer who does
>> not negotiate such terms could opt to pay full retail or wholesale
>> prices for retail versions of Windows which could be resold.
>>
>> Of course, the OEM license agreement is always negotiated.  And
>> Negotiation involves having information that can be used as leverage in
>> gettin concessions from the other party while making acceptable
>> concessions themselves.
>>
>> For the last 20 years, Microsoft has been the one with most of the
>> leverage.  Ironically, when Dell first started, their primary business
>> was selling PCs powered by SCO Unix.  They didn't NEED Microsoft
>> initially, but once Microsoft got their hooks into the company, Dell
>> had to make huge concessions.
>>
>> Quite simply:  Dell is selling millions of machines with Windows.
>> Microsoft has the ability to revoke your contract or refuse to renew
>> Dell's contract unless Dell makes all of the concessions Microsoft
>> want.  Such an action that would have almost guaranteed bankruptcy.  A
>> CEO is a CEO because he thinks beyond his own family, children, and
>> personal ambitions - he assumes responsibilities for the families and
>> children of all his workers.  If someone pointed a gun to your child's
>> head, then handed you a contract which you would never otherwise sign -
>> under that threat of eminent death or injury to your child, you might
>> go ahead and sign.  Now imagine that you have 20,000 workers with
>> 40,000 children - and your refusal to accept Microsoft's terms would
>> mean that those workers would lose their jobs, those children might end
>> up turning to crime or possibly even die, and all because you wouldn't
>> sign the contract.  The scars of massive unemployment are quite
>> familiar in Texas.  The Oil industry has gone boom and bust several
>> times.  I'm sure that Michael Dell would do quite a bit to keep that
>> from happening to his people.  They could lose their houses, their
>> cars, their retirement savings, their kids college education funds, and
>> everything else they hold dear.
>>
>> To a CEO, the threat of such hardship to so many people is no different
>> than pointing a loaded gun at your child's kneecaps and threatening to
>> pull the trigger.  And Bill Gates is equally determined to make sure
>> that the same thing does not happen to his people in Redmond, Bellvue,
>> and Seattle.
>>
>> So here you are, with two very powerful and responsible corporate
>> leaders, ultimately sitting down at a table - Bill Gates trying to
>> protect his thousands of workers from a suddend and dramatic shift to
>> Linux, and Michael Dell, trying to protect his thousands of workers
>> from a sudden revocation of Dell's ability  to sell millions of
>> computer with Windows.
>>
>> There is another problem though.  As Michael Dell, you have been
>> watching prices erode on Windows systems.  You have been losing money
> [...]

You make it sounds as though the sun always shines atop Dell Computers. I
cannot deny the fact that 1-2 weeks ago, headline announced Dell's rise in
terms of profit, but then again you must account for stories such as _this_:

I wrote about it in the context of Intel's faulty motherboards.

Best wishes, guys.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
  4:45pm  up  12:23,  5 users,  load average: 1.68, 1.64, 1.36