Re: Puzzling over Vista

  • Subject: Re: Puzzling over Vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:39:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ billwg ] on Tuesday 28 February 2006 18:04 \__

>> Microsoft might understand marketing well (how to aggressively abuse
>> the law
>> rather), but even the perfect marketing team cannot compensate for a
>> poor
>> product. Here we speak about an operating system that has not much to
>> offer
>> and will most likely fail to sell.
>>
> What an incredibly naive statement for one so highly schooled, roy!
> Windows Vista is but Windows 6.0 after all.  It will surely sell as on
> its first day as WindowsXP (Windows version 5.1) did the day before.
> Will it take over the rest of the market?  Perhaps not, but it will
> advance, you can be sure of that.  And just as surely it will have a new
> look and feel that Gnome and KDE will copy forthwith.

The subject line is malformed. It should have been:

"Vista. Puzzling. Over."

That aside, with regards to your last argument:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=35 ...
197&file1=35197-1.jpg&file2=35197-2.jpg&file3=&name=PCLinuxOS ...
+Clear+Blue+Start+kbfx

OR

http://tinyurl.com/cus2f

Everything visual that exists in Windows Vista has been available in both
GNOME and KDE for years. They actually do /more/ in terms of eye candy. When
was the last time you installed Linux and actually enabled some of the
advanced features? For credible arguments, you must extend the scope of
exploration.

Best wishes (never meaning to be too hard on you...),

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  4:30pm  up  12:08,  5 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.05