Re: Why Linux is so successful

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 15:00 \__

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=101499

> Also bought a MX4000 graphics card.
> This was to upgrade a kobian/mercury epia mboard that had
> USB boot features.
>
> The PCChips board had AMI BIOS, press F8 and it booted
> from USB perfectly detecting sound and LAN an video.
> From opening box to operational computer in less than 30 minutes.
>
> I bought swappable caddies and switched in a few distros.
> Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD edition fully installed (10Gb of installed
> software approx) for the epia mboard and now plotted to boot
> up on this new mboard with different graphics card, sound, LAN etc..
>
> Well, there I was sitting there behind sand bags
> in flack jacket peering at the machine from binoculars
> to see it go off.
>
> And then it happend.
>
> Yep, nothing. It just booted as if I had always been running it on
> that new setup. WTF? I heard all these windope asstroturfers
> claiming its not ready for desktop but there it was all ready! The desktop
> system was completely swapped out with different hardware
> and the machine is still running without any user intervention!!!
>
> Ok next was Fedora Core 4 (about 11Gb of installed software).
>
> Yep, almost nothing happened again. I had one minute of work to do
> switching resolution from 800x600 to 1280x1024, logout, login and
> it was done!
>
> Completely disarmed by the sheer simplicity and ease of use
> of GNU/Linux, I was persuaded to take off my flack jacket,
> dismantle the sand bags and stick in a windoze disk which had
> been working on the Epia board.
>
> WTF@#@*@@!!!!!!
>
> SHI*^&$%%@@!!&!!
>
> I calmly realized, that what I have before me is a blue screen.
> A blue screen before me is what I have calmly realized I.
> Therefore, could one of you windope asstroturfers
> who keep claiming windopes is supposed to be a distro please
> help... the color code is #0000FF.

What is it that motivated you to install and wipe Linux? Are you dissatisfied
with the distribution that you have thus far been loyal to? The
wipe-every-now-and-then approach should have been embraced only if you
attempted a Windows installation first.

The challenge with Windows is that of collecting drivers and remaining
uninfected while Windows XP is being patched up. If you are not experienced
and skilled (nor has the vendor pre-installed Windows), you are most likely
to have to clean up your Registry. An average user with decent requirements
will wind up spending anything between a couple of hours to a day getting
the machine ready for use (Acrobat Reader and all that malarkey, AV,
updates, drivers, customisation, migrations). Been there, done that. Never
doing that again.