Re: Open Source Sold Out?

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 16:43 \__

> I think this article completely misses the point.
>
> While development of the code and open source software advocacy are
> pretty easy to for free, the support - getting feet in the field, can
> be quite expensive.  Linux can get some milage with end-users with
> Linux "install-fests", but when you want to put new Linux computers
> into every McDonalds, you need people who are dependable, competent,
> can work quickly, can be trusted, and won't try to steal the business
> for themselves.  This is why Caldera had to by the SCO Service
> organization.  Unfortunately, there were too many Caldera shares
> outstanding, and ownership and control of SCO was too much for
> Microsoft to resist.
>
> Keep in mind that after McBride took control of the company, the first
> thing he did was buy the rights to UNIX from Tarantella, who had owned
> the rights to Linux after Caldera purchased the service organisation.
> Then, when SCO started demanding royalties from Linux customers,
> Microsoft negotiated a deal with SCO.  In essence, this deal made it
> possible to sell a "Microsoft Unix".  Appearantly Microsoft is working
> on a new kernel based on UNIX, which will have the Vista API's.  This
> version might be out in 4-5 years.
>
> If Oracle were to buy MySQL, they wouldn't control the source code, but
> they would be the first choice for those who wanted consultants who
> could quickly and effeciently install and configure MySQL databases,
> install and configure the tables and stored procedures, and tune the
> queries.
>
> Of course, other consulting organizations would also be players in that
> market, and even those players would probably want to have support
> contracts with MySQL so that they can go to the "top guys" when
> necessary.
>
> Eclipse is another good example.  IBM doesn't control eclipse, and many
> of IBM's competitors now offer their own tools with Eclipse as a base.
> At the same time, the Eclipse organization gets support and many
> companies do engage Eclipse for certain support issues.
>
> There will probably be many more companies with open source products
> that will be turning into corporate entities or corporately supported
> non-profits.  Most of the corporations will be providing support
> contracts, distribution services, consulting services, and proprietary
> plug-ins and add-ons.
>
> Sun is another example.  In fact, Sun is probably the oldest example of
> a company which has made supporting Open Source technology a key
> strategic element of their business.  When Sun was first founded, they
> offered a platform with BSD Unix as well as AT&T Unix - on the same
> platform.  A key element of their success was that although the BSD
> code was available in source code form, there was a need for people who
> could support it, and hardware that could be quickly and easily
> configured to run UNIX - that was compatible with other BSD
> [...]

I can't say that I agree with that last point. It seems as thought you are
trying to balance the discussion as means of getting more credibility. Even
in the absence of Windows, *nix would have found a way to appeal to a large
audience. The main hidrance is diversion of developer rigour into
development under Windows, which relies on the closed-source model and
thereby enables all sort of intersting things. I don't think it is fair to
argue that the introduction of Windows had any contribution, unless the
positive impact of /competition/ counts.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  6:45am  up 4 days  2:23,  13 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.46, 0.55