Re: Why do I hate Windows...

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Saturday 04 March 2006 18:03 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:49:07 -0800, Larry Qualig wrote:
>
>> Thanks Roy. COLA would be better IMO if there were less hyperbole and
>> more discussion of the facts. I don't like these sorts of posts any
>> more than the flatfish style "I installed Linux and it burned down my
>> house" crap. There are occasional moments of realism here but
>> unfortunately many people have extreme bias towards one OS or the
>> other. For many (but certainly not all) it's either Linux is perfect
>> and Windows "burnded down my house" or the opposite. The reality is
>> nowhere near this extreme and both OS's could benefit with lessons
>> learned from the other yet manage to keep their own unique identity.
>
> The reality is, nothing is perfect.  Not Linux, not Windows, not OSX.  The
> real issue becomes not which is perfect, nor even better, but, rather,
> which is better for a given use or user.
>
> Take desktop use for Joe Sixpack.  Ignoring pricing considerations, Macs
> are, on the whole, probably easier to use than Windows boxes.  Now that
> OSX is moving to x86, if it becomes a commodity OS like Windows, I fully
> expect it to take a *huge* chunk of the Windows market over the next
> several years.
>
> That said, for Joe Sixpack, Linux is actually pretty freakin' easy to use
> as well.  It is not identical, to be sure, but set him up with a stock KDE
> system, he should be almost as at home with it as with Windows in very
> short time - and face it, he did, at some point, have to learn Windows,
> and Windows keeps changing the bloody interface every other week in any
> case, simply adding to the confusion.
>
> For servers, Linux beats Windows hands down, between cost of deployment,
> ease of doing things such as cloning servers and the like.
>
> What really irks me about Windows, especially in the all-too-frequent
> "ease of use" discussions, is that the Windows folks persist in comparing
> apples to apples.  Is Windows easy to use?  Compare something _equivalent_
> if you want the comparison to be meaningful.
>
> For example, I run my Linux desktop as a non-privileged user.  So set up
> Joe Sixpack in an equivalent configuration.  Now let's compare.  He wants
> to install, oh, say, mIRC.  He has to find it, first.  Then download it.
> Then run it.  The installer launches and... hrm.  On most of the systems
> here at work, which are locked down, he'd simply get an error message, to
> the effect that he's not allowed to do this, contact the administrator.
>
> Except Joe Sixpack *is* the administrator.  He's just not running as an
> admin.  So, let's compare his experience, in a locked-down machine, to
> mine.  We'll go from a bare-bones GUI system to a "usable" system.  We'll
> install a few odds and ends, shall we?
>
> - MS Office and, on the Linux box, Open Office.
> - mIRC and, say, xchat.
> - Yahoo messenger and, say, Kopete.
> - Winamp and xmms.
> - Nero and K3B.

> [...]

Good post, Kelsey. I'll keep an eye on your future writings. *smile*

When Larry returns from his skiing tri *rolls eyes*, perhaps he'll have a
word or two to add. I doubt anyone can confute your argument, which are all
so familiar to me being a support staff, usually needing to mend Broken
Windows(C).

Best wishes,