Re: choosing an editor

  • Subject: Re: choosing an editor
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 10:53:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [ GT ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 06:52 \__

>  hello there I have a small query I hoped someone out there might find it i
>  their
> heart to answer :
> I need to work on my web site and see that
>  I have no less than at least 4 progs for that : bluefish 1.0.2
>  NvU

Never used it, but seen screenshots. It looks promising.

>  Quanta

Powerful as a text editor, but I prefer KWrite (Kate). I notice from the
header that you are using KDE.

>  Screem

No clue, but obscurity is no indication of poor quality. If you intend to
compose many pages, it's worth investigating.

>  naturally I can't go through all of them, although I have tried in the
>  past to design some simple site using the last two.
>
>  I used to use dreamweaver 2 (a few years back under windows) which
>  although rudimentary by today's standard did provide me with :
>  decent-ish frame creation (not brilliant but it did the job after some
>  headbanging),
> (but I recently learned that frames are not a good idea anyway)

Frames are a terrible idea for many reasons. The only excuse for using them
in the first place is lack of wareness as to their long-term impact.

Remember that while Dreamweaver caters for quick and intuitive tailoring of
pages, underlying code is mystifying and page appearance is prone to
breakage once you depart from Dreamwaver and your favourite Web browser. You
then need to mend pages using a text editor, so why not /start/ with a text
editor or -- *better yet* -- a content management system. Consider Drupal,
Plone, WordPress and the likes of them.

>  text handling and tabbing ok-ish
>  establishing page links visually (very nice) and updating them as
>  required. manipulating
> local files as well as remote ones within the
>  environment (integrated up-download is nice, without having to resort to
>  another soft - I think it did anyway). I am not really looking for
>  flashy stuff, although being able to create menus (drop down type) would
>  be nice, and basically manage pics, links and all basic things to create
>  a decent looking and efficient site would be nice. the site is both for
>  perso and prof use (not selling stuff, just cv-type and showing works).

Sites expand beyond expectation. Every long journey begins with a footstep,
or a mile. Invest properly at the start and you will understand the benefits
later.

>  I did not flash on either quanta or screem but then again did not have
>  much time to spend on either.
>  can anyone help out with some ideas of pros-cons of these 4 contenders
>  ???? or which to advise ?
>
> thanks for any help !
>
> G.

All in all, I would suggest ditching text editors and WYSIWYG tools. The
latest generation of Web design paradigms is the CMS, provided you want a
consistent layout across your Web site.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
 10:40am  up 4 days  6:18,  12 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.65, 0.41