Re: The OpenOffice FUD Campaign has Begun

__/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Monday 06 March 2006 12:15 \__

> On 2006-03-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted
> something concerning:
>> __/ [ Sinister Midget ] on Monday 06 March 2006 11:27 \__
>>
>>> <snip />
>>>
>>> Now, back to Larry describing the high temperature brought on by the
>>> sickness as though it _is_ the sickness......
>>
>> Hey, that last bit just ain't fair. Larry doesn't see everything as either
>> black or white, so some folks here don't appreciate his presence. I am
>> pleased enough to see an ex-Microsoft employee employing 2 SuSE machines
>> and one Ubuntu machine, just as I do. It does say something.
>
> I wouldn't call it "unfair". It was Larry that made the observation
> that there was too much anti-M$ noise (the symptom that Larry called
> the disease), and brought it to the wrong conclusion that we must,
> therefore, somehow fear Fisted and/or M$. That, in turn, assisted Ewik
> in taking the ball and running with it, allowing him to ignore and
> sidestep his own role in all of it while also spreading more of the
> real disease (FUD and fraud) that brings on more of the noise.

It's noise that bring further noise. If no-one replies to trolls, they will
ultimately leave in disgrace. At this stage, I don't consider Larry to be a
troll, perhaps because conversations we engaged in revolved around Linux.

> I'm not saying there *isn't* too much noise (and I play a big role in
> making said noise). I'm saying, though, that the noise isn't what's
> causing the noise. The cause of the noise is the disease, which Larry
> _didn't_ blame, and which Erik has a vested interest in avoiding
> having brought into the open.
>
>> By the way, sorry about the typos (subject line included). I am not
>> moronic, but I just posted this reference in haste through a terminal
>> while having breakfast. It was Slashdotted only minutes beforehand.
>
> Typos are welcomed by me. Highlighting them is the only refuge most of
> the time for the multitude of dufii that have nothing else to latch
> onto (Kiddie-Kiddie Man, DooFu$, etc). Sometimes the typos and poor
> spelling themselves bring more meaning to things than what was intended
> (like duel-booting).

I once saw it in the press and took a screenshot:

http://schestowitz.com/IMG/blog/yahoonews.jpg

> I know I _hope_ for one or more mistakes in every post. I just can't
> bring myself to do them on purpose, though.

As you said, I am careful only because trolls are having a feast to their
tune. I still maintain my habit of not wasting time on proofreading. Reading
something twice is nearly as bad as repeating yourself. Spellchecking is
automated, so there is no efficiency penalty. Grammar checks as a tool are
merely a hoax as they provide more distractions than help. Maybe it is not
the case for those whose English is poorer. I suspect so.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
 12:15pm  up 5 days  7:53,  9 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.61, 0.54