Re: Suse modem question

__/ [ GregRo ] on Sunday 05 March 2006 13:18 \__

> Suse modem question
>
> I was reading a modem website.  They said suse can now recognize a pci
> Agere Softmodem.
>
> What versions of Suse does this modem work with?
>
> Thank you for this info.
>

> Greg Ro

Hi Greg,

I suggest that you look at modem compatibility lists (search the Web). Modems
are supported by the Linux kernel rather than SuSE, but you might be able to
rely on drivers that are supplied among the SuSE CD's. If the modem in
question is a notorious Winmodem, you might be better off investing in an
external one and put the horses before the wagon (i.e. check compatibility
before purchase) when you buy hardware intended for Linux in the future. You
could otherwise buy a computer from a Linux vendor that pre-installs
everything.

Best wishes and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:00pm  up 5 days  8:38,  9 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.69, 0.70