Re: Google Algorithms Get Offensive

__/ [ Who Turned Off The Lights? ] on Tuesday 07 March 2006 01:27 \__

> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:09:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I am not a homophobe, but I thought this was funny. Google's automated
>> attempts to refine search results can go hayway sometime.
>>
>> http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-688.html
>>   [ Google may face legal action over Ashley Cole searches ]
>
> <intended sarcasm>
> but of course it does tend to get things on target (and expectedly)
> </intended sarcasm>
>
> "potatoe" does bring up something on Dan Quayle's gaffe as a second result.
> 'and a search for "vice presidential gaffe" brings him up as #1.
> hehehe

A search for "linux" gives Microsoft.com at the top -- a paid for placement
which contains a vile FUD campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD

For that alone, I bottle up some resentment for Google. This is not the only
example where the very /competition/ gets a top placement. They recently got
sued for that, too.