Re: External USB Hard-Drive on Linux

__/ [ Geoffrey Clements ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 10:38 \__

>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 09:33 \__
>>
>>> __/ [ Geoffrey Clements ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 08:57 \__

>>> Thanks, Geoff (and others). I have just returned with a 300GB beast. I
>>> told
>>> the to salesman it's for a Linux box and he replied "it should be fine".
>>> Let's see how it goes...
>>
>> Slap me dead! I was up for a challenge, but the bloody drive just showed
>> up
>> under "Computer" as soon as I had plugged it in. Filesystem and all: no
>> problem!
>>

> Dammit! No juicy problem to solve :-( What on earth is going on with Linux,
> it's getting far too easy ;-)
>
> BTW what did you get, I'm thinking of getting one myself.

I was set to go with a Western Digital offer, which included housing and a
250GB  drive.  It took me under 5 minutes to make this  decision  although
Maplin  had a decent choice in store. There was a special offer on the  WD
unit,  so it was going for GBP 120, down from ~160 (or so they would  have
you believe). It was no longer in stock sadly.

I  ended up with the Seagate, which was also on display at the front  win-
dow.  Nice housing, 300GB, 7200 RPM, good packaging with both European and
British connectors, software CD for backup (Windows and maybe also OS X, I
imagine).  Price was 140 pounds, but I get a 5% discount for being a  stu-
dent.

I  haven't had a a chance to explore what else is contained in the box. My
aim  was  to set this up as quickly as possible (unpacking and  connecting
taking  10  times  as  much  as configuring, namely  plug  in,  then  dou-
ble-click).  This was the same case when I got my SuSE box. Physical pack-
aging  (as  in  boxing) was the only hindrance, which I  found  YaSTastic.
*smile*

300 gigs. More than I need, but beats the hell out of GDrive!

Best wishes and thanks again,