Re: External USB Hard-Drive on Linux

__/ [ Jeff Gaines ] on Wednesday 08 March 2006 12:23 \__

> On 08/03/2006 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I  ended up with the Seagate, which was also on display at the front
>> win- dow.  Nice housing, 300GB, 7200 RPM, good packaging with both
>> European and British connectors, software CD for backup (Windows and
>> maybe also OS X, I imagine).  Price was 140 pounds, but I get a 5%
>> discount for being a  stu- dent.
>
> You won't regret it, it's a much more reliable drive than the WD based
> on statistics on uk.comp.homebuilt.

Thanks,  I was deeply worried about that capricious and arbitrary  choice,
which  felt like more of a fallback option. The last time I was  surveying
hard-drives I was much younger and WD were the top notch. Recently I heard
that Maxtor were taking some lead, but a Maxtor drive I had failed me sev-
eral months ago, just 4 days after I had purchased a brand new computer!

I  have bad experiences with hard-drives in general. I had 3 separate ones
in  my laptop (Hitchi/IBM, Toshiba, Apple-compatible IIRC) and I also blew
one  up with a screw driver when I was 12. I should have switched the com-
puter off first, so my mistake...

Many thanks,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
 12:30pm  up   5:07,  6 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.42, 0.40